Pay for UK healthcare as part of your immigration application
How much you have to pay
The exact amount you pay depends on the length of the visa you’re given.
A visa may last longer than your course of study or period of employment.
Cost for a year
You’ll have to pay:
- £776 per year for students, their dependants, and those on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa, for example £1,552 for a 2-year visa
- £776 per year for visa and immigration applicants who are under the age of 18 at time of application
- £1,035 per year for all other visa and immigration applications, for example £3,105 for a 3-year visa
Cost for part of a year
The amount you have to pay depends on the length of the visa you’re given and where you apply from.
6 months or less
You do not need to pay the surcharge if you’re applying from outside the UK for 6 months or less.
If you’re applying from inside the UK, you’ll have to pay half the yearly cost. For example:
- £388 for students, their dependants, Youth Mobility Scheme or under-18 applications
- £517.50 for any other application
More than 6 months but less than one year
Wherever you apply from, you’ll have to pay the cost of a full year.
Cost for more than one year
If your visa is for more than a year, you’ll have to pay:
- the yearly cost plus half the yearly cost, if it’s for 18 months or less
- the cost of 2 full years, if it’s for more than 18 months but less than 2 years
Paying for dependants
Dependants aged 18 or over usually need to pay the same amount as you.
Calculate the cost
Calculate how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.
The exact amount you pay depends on the length of the visa you’re given, which may last longer than your course of study or period of employment.
This may mean your actual payment is more than the calculator shows.
You’ll automatically get a partial refund if you paid the healthcare surcharge for more years than you were granted leave.
When you must pay
If you apply for a visa online, you pay the surcharge as part of the application.
If you apply for a visa by post, you must pay the surcharge online before you send your application. You’ll need to include your IHS reference number on the application form.
If you do not pay
You’ll get an email from UK Visas and Immigration if you do not pay the surcharge (or do not pay enough) as part of your visa or immigration application.
Check your junk folder if you cannot see the email in your inbox.
Once you get the email, you must pay the surcharge within:
- 10 working days if you’re inside the UK
- 7 working days if you’re outside the UK
Your visa or immigration application will be turned down if you do not pay the full amount in this time.Act now, take your next step ( | |